In CCSD 89, the Illinois Learning Standards serve as the foundation of our curriculum and drives all aspects of teaching and learning in the district.
The state of Illinois adopted the Common Core State Standards new standards for English Language Arts (ELA) and Math in 2010. In February of 2014, Illinois adopted new science standards. The standards were developed in collaboration with teachers, school administrators, and experts, to provide a clear and consistent framework to prepare our children for college and the workforce.
The standards are informed by the highest, most effective models from around the world, and provide teachers and parents with a common understanding of what students are expected to learn. Consistent standards will provide appropriate benchmarks for all students, regardless of where they live.
These standards define the knowledge and skills students should have within their K-12 education careers so that they will graduate high school able to succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing academic college courses and in workforce training programs. The standards:
- Are aligned with college and work expectations;
- Are clear, understandable, and consistent;
- Include rigorous content and application of knowledge through high-order skills;
- Build upon strengths and lessons of current state standards;
- Are informed by other top-performing countries, so that all students are prepared to succeed in our global economy and society; and
- Are evidence-based.
Below are some videos providing additional information on the Common Core Standards:
- The Common Core Standards in 3 Minutes
- English Language Arts Standards overview
- Mathematics Standards overview
- Science Standards overview
For additional information regarding the Learning Standards as well as the complete K - 12 listing of English Language Art and Math Standards, please click on the following links:
CCSD 89 standards and curriculum
This section includes documents that outline the standards and curriculum in Community Consolidated School District 89. This section will be continually updated.